1/27/2007

Continuing...

So, I still haven't quite figured out how to do the whole picture thing. I mean, obviously I learned how to add pictures, but I'd like to be able to figure out how to put them where I WANT them to be. If anyone can help me there, that would be GREAT.



So, in continuing the fiber saga. Thursday evening was the Aurora Colony Handspinner's Guild monthly meeting. It was one of the first meetings that I presided over as President. I just want to go on the record saying that I'm not comfortable leading meetings. I HATE that it's my job to interrupt people and tell them that their time is up, it feels RUDE. And unless I'm really pissed off, I don't do rude well. But, I guess this is what happens when no one else will volunteer to do things.

Our program this Thursday was basically everyone talking about the "White after Labor Day" projects. The White After Labor Day challenge was something that Dianne McKinnon, Jean, Wanda & I came up with. We wanted to DO something with the guild. So, we arranged for the guild to buy 2 oz of plain white roving for everyone. We passed out the roving at the September meeting. The goal was that people would make something (anything) out of that 2 oz and bring it back to the Holiday Party for everyone to see. I think it was fairly successful. And definitely a learning experience.

One of our guild members used the fiber and did a story board. In the story, the fiber was from the Abominable Snowman (Yeti), and it is shown spun and knitted/crocheted on weaving pirls. It was VERY cute and inventive. Other members dyed and spun and knitted or crocheted. There were some very impressive projects brought in. Unfortunately, my memory is so bad that I don't want to talk about them, because I can't remember who did what. In particular, I remember that Diane dyed her roving before spinning, laid the three primary colors out and let them bleed together. There was a lot of white left in the roving, and it looked very colorful. It was neat to see that after it was spun and plied, the colors appeared more dark, somewhat somber. Very, very pretty and unexpected. She knitted her 2 oz into a small lacy shawl. Another new member who is just learning how to spin decided to use her 2 oz of white and crochet the unspun roving. She made the cutest snow-woman!

My own personal project was a cell phone cozy that I made up using Weavette squares. It was definitely a learning experience for me. I learned that you should ALWAYS wash your individual pieces BEFORE assembling them, and definitely wash them before you apply any decorative items. See the pictures. It looks fine, but the buttons on the flap were originally sewn on with space between them, yet when it was washed, it shrunk up enough that the buttons now overlap. Not enough to make it a bad thing, but enough to bother ME. See the pictures below.

Tomorrow my fiber-ish enterprise will be going to the local Stitch-N-Bitch. OK, I don't know if they officially call it that, but it's a knitting group held at the local book store. It's the first time I've went in over a year because I just haven't been comfy there in the past. We'll see how I like it now. My friend, Wanda, and I have been considering making our own Stitch-N-Bitch, but there's no reason to do so if we like this group now.

Oh, I don't have pictures, yet, but I've started on the Fiber Fish Mittens seen here http://issueswithknitting.blogspot.com/2006/08/fresh-fiber-fish-fer-sale.html that I bought the pattern for last week. I'm using some old Trekking that I had, then I had to go out and buy MORE Trekking, so I guess eventually I'll have more than one pair. They are just SO cute I couldn't resist them! Hopefully I get them done in time for next year, haha!

No comments: